Monday, May 31, 2010

First impression

Whoever said that "first impression is the last impression" was an idiot!

How is that even possible? People have gone horribly wrong with me and I've gone absolutely horribly wrong with people when it comes to first encounters.

Now, maybe this is true of job interviews or more formal meetings when you know that 10 minutes or so is all you have. But what about when you meet the same person over and over and over again? Don't your perceptions go through one of those huge revolving crusher machines every single time? Well, mine do. Till I reach a stable point where I have figured out the person reasonably well.

Blame my geminian fickle-minded-ness. My opinions about a person can go from one end of the spectrum directly to the opposite end in one meeting which maybe the 2nd or the 12th. That doesn't matter. What matters is whether that person is buried so deep under in my 'good books' that one/two actions or statements will not make me tear up his/her page.

There have been times when people have not even registered with me after I have been around them for over months. Then stuff has happened, we came close and we became best buddies and continue to remain so. There is no scope for a first impression when I don't even remember my first meeting with them. Su, God gulty, abs, Rajesh, Suzie, Sho all fall in this category.

I have always grown fond of people or un-fond. I have drifted towards people or away. Gradually. By the time I realized how much I love these people, I have forgotten what my first meeting with them was like.

What should also be noted is that my finding a person so-damn-cute/attractive/ohh-m-g is invariably always followed by my asking myself "What the eff were you thinking?". My people evaluation kit is grossly under-stocked.

To make things better(??), I have consolation in the fact that other people too have been wrong about me before they got to know me better. I have been thought to be a snob, a loner, a spoilt brat, irresponsible, not-interested-in-studies, callous...I should stop. Well, these opinions have changed over time and that is the only reason why they are mentioned here. There is no place for negativity on this blog, especially if it's about me.

Now, whoever said "All that glitters is not gold" made so much more sense. There is an entire science to understanding people. People are complex and there is so much more to them than just first impressions and first hand-shakes. If it was not the case, I would be highly unpopular!

1 comment:

Atul said...

... that was quite insightful! ...