Tuesday, May 31, 2011

chai chai...garma garam chai!

I can sum up this post in one line - i love my tea and i love my tea time. Done!

Tea time is the most precious time of my day. I do NOT like to be disturbed during my tea time, not even to open the door. I like to enjoy every sip of my tea, relax and savor the tea, the time, and the quietness of those moments. After all, tea time symbolises the break between all the rush of the day. (I'm guessing that is what a cigarette is to smokers, atleast in part).



After all these years, I've finally settled to a routine of 4 teas a day. For whatever reasons, I used to try to limit myself to 2 teas or try to have green tea (YUCK!!!) and all that jazz. What with all that hoopla about tea not being good for us and messing with our brain activity and stuff.

But, I guess , my brain activity is finally messed up enough to allow me 4 cups of tea without thinking about any negative effects. And, I hate people who call green tea 'tea'. I mean, seriously?? Did they ever take a sip of a 'cutting' or 'tapri' chai?



I like my tea well brewed and with ample sugar. Yeah, sugar is the part that hurts me the most. I'm a true desi and I like my tea sweet. All the maths makes it 8 spoons of sugar in one day which translates to a lot of unwanted and useless calories which translates to more cardio in the gym. And god knows I hate cardio. (I just meant that as a phrase. I'm sure that god, if such a thing existed, couldn't be less bothered about one girl's gym preferences).

So, I'm trying to ration my sugar in the tea that I have at work. Though, tell you what, I cannot compromise on certain things and so the tea that I make at home still gets 2 spoons of sugar. I'm quite non-flexible that way. Bring on the cardio! Or cut down on dinner!



One more thing that needs mention when talking about my tea is the ridiculously and annoyingly low temperatures at which i enjoy my tea. I begin to test the temperature of my cup only after others (if any) have finished their cups. It's a good benchmark. Then also, if I feel that my tea needs more cooling time, I wait some more. It annoys my tea time friends (again, if any). But, I just can't help it. If the tea is too hot, it just burns and numbs your taste buds and you just cannot taste it. Also, it has the added advantage of prolonging my oh-so-good tea time. :)

I need to end the post here. It's time for my chai :P.

5 comments:

Ram said...

How about zero calorie sweetener!

If you wait too much time for your tea to become cold, cafe guys can charge you for ice(cold) tea instead of normal tea :-)(joke from a gulti movie)

Cheekya said...

OMG..... If you are so carefull about the 8 spoons sugar, then in my case I have to build house on the cardio machine :-p ..... Anyways I don't think anyone does so much of calculation (except you :-))afterall you also do some other physical things other than drinking tea and cardio :-),
I don't think girls feel lonely drinking tea:-p .... leave that to guys :-)

Nam said...

@ram: zero calorie sweetner is not sweetner (like green tea isn't tea)

@cheekya: thanks. it helps to know that there are people like you who love their tea more than I do :)

Sho said...

Hot tea numbs only your taste buds. It has aroma, and is a joy to sip and savour.

4 is ok. 5 or more and you start hallucinating, it seems :P

Nam said...

aroma my foot...take in the aroma when the tea is hot and drink it when it is less hotter :P