Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Milestones

My last post was my 100th published post. I have a few that never made it to the blog land. Anyways, 100 is not a great number, not one I'm too proud of given that I have been doing this for long. But, it's still a milestone, right? And what do we do when we reach a milestone? We celebrate. Or we just mention it in one post and go on about our life.

One milestone that I'm actually celebrating is my recent switch to full manual mode on my DSLR - full as in full, including manual focus. I do not see myself using it very often, especially the manual focus, as I'm too slow with it. I'm just getting used to it but I never will be as fast as the auto focus. or could I? Having said that, it just gives me so many degrees of freedom. I love that!



Till this time, I thought ISO was useless. WHAT??


I had read in so many photography articles that manual mode is so liberating, it gives so much freedom, it gives so much better control, it makes you a better lover and all the time I used to think what a bunch of suckers! Ok maybe, I didn't read the last one. But then, who would do all those adjustments manually when the machine does it for you in one half-press?

I stand corrected. The manual mode does give you freedom - the frustrating movements of the lens when it's not able to focus on something or when it keeps focusing on something other than what you intend are now a thing of the past, the over bright or under-bright pictures are a thing of the past, the unending waits for the shutter to close are a thing of the past, the blur caused by the slow shutter speeds is a thing of the past. What I finally get is a satisfying picture and I can again tweak a setting, if I'm unhappy with the result. (With so many frustrations gone from your life, wouldn't you love better? Maybe I did read the better lover part then. Or maybe I'm saying it now. But it could happen!)




So summing it all up, I am happy.

I'm still taking baby steps with the manual mode. I hope to get better.

And while we are on milestones - It took me many many years but finally I found the guts (or should I say the cheek) to wear bright red nail paint. This makes me happy as well.


The book is the Bhagvad Gita and I have finished it in case you are wondering. Thankyou very much!

And in a few days, I'll cross another really BIG milestone. I'll cross Indian borders to go to Sri Lanka. It's not Europe and it can be mistaken for Chennai but what the hell, it's still 'foreign' land.

7 comments:

Ram said...

Congratulations on your milestones (esp for completing the book)!

Nam said...

haha...thank you! Can't say I understood it though :P

Sho said...

All the best for your foreign trip..I am sure your friends are dying to get their photos clicked given your newly acquired skills with the DSLR ;)

Cheekya said...

hmmmm... Srilanka........ gooooood.. Happy Journey..... again u did not calll me and u say I m good frd..:-(
Just kidding enjoys after all ur going to foreign land :-)

Nam said...

Cheekya things werent cool when we planned this (it was a long time back)..next time :)
@sho: skills dont take good pictures, a heart full of love takes good pictures :P and that I've always had.

Cheekya said...

hmmm.... u could have kept those things in refrigerator :p .... Anyways I was just kidding u guys enjoy........:-)
Next time.. I will be planning it :-)
irrespective of the temperature of the things :P

Nam said...

Absolutely! We are game anytime! and let's keep temperatures warm :)