Wednesday, August 24, 2011

To the library

Like I said in my last post, my saturday was spent here:



Well, this is the state central library! And I. loved. it. Yeah I'm a nerd that way.



Now, I drove a friend for some work near Vidhana Soudha. The parking happened to be near the library. The library is a beautiful red building which I had seen a couple of times earlier but the thought of getting in never crossed my mind. Now since I had time to kill, I thought why not?



I was a little hesitant to go in at first. I thought I would need a membership or something. So I walked in just to inquire. The guy saw me walking in and said "Madam, please leave your bag here". Yayy just like that I was in! Yeah after that he made some small talk about which part of delhi I'm from (It was probably broadcast earlier that I was from delhi) and what I think about Anna's andolan. After that, I was in.



The library inside, is really something to experience. Well also because it's been such a long time since I went to a library. And also that I generally love libraries. I can just sit in a library and kill hours. You have to experience the library to know really what it is.




The boring one!

I searched and searched and after a very boring book finally found a really interesting one on Indira Gandhi by Dom Moraes. So engrossing was the book that I kept on turning pages after pages and just like that 3 hours were over. And I learnt new things like Nehrus' actual family name was Kaul. Really nice read. I would love to read the rest of it soon.



Correction: I would love to go back to the library and read the rest of it.



The only thing missing was tea. If they had tea, I might have never left. ALso, I was very hungry. But mostly tea. I could have foregone lunch if I could get a big cup of tea. That's how much I love tea and books, especially if they are in a quiet, Victorian, sprawling with books library.

4 comments:

Atul said...

ahoy dolphin!

spending weekend time in library reminded me of my early years in poona... not exactly the library but crossword and landmark stores were enriching... keep reading, keep writing, keep gyming and happy tea drinking... blessed by the eternal sunshine!

Nam said...

it's a good way to spend some quiet alone time, no? especially if you have lots of time.

Sho said...

Did you tell the guy what you really felt about the andolan? Would be surprising if he let you in knowing that, or your love for the Gandhi family :p

Nam said...

sho, i know when to hold back. i didn't want to engage in conversation with him, so i didn't say what i really think. And some of these Gandhian people are very intolerant, ironically :)